About the Course
This qualification is aimed at anyone seeking to improve their understanding and awareness of suicide and self-harm. The knowledge individuals will gain is not sector-specific but can be applied to a broad range of personal and professional situations. Individuals who may find this course useful to their professional life include: teachers, mental health workers, crisis helpline volunteers, support workers, individuals in a safeguarding role, parents or guardians, and others working with individuals who may be at increased risk of self-harm or suicide.
Eligible for funding? Click the ‘APPLY NOW‘ button.
This course is split into four manageable units:
Unit 1: Introduction to suicide and self-harm awareness
- Section 1: Understand what is meant by self-harm and suicide
- Section 2: Understand the triggers which might cause someone to self-harm or attempt suicide
- Section 3: Understand media and societal attitudes to self-harm and suicide
Unit 2: Recognising the signs of suicide and self-harm in individuals
- Section 1: Signs, thoughts, feelings and behaviour
- Section 2: Understand how to initially approach someone who may be self-harming or considering suicide
Unit 3: The principles of suicide and self-harm prevention
- Section 1: Understand the role of conversation in the prevention of self-harm and suicide
- Section 2: Understand the importance of family and friend support in the prevention of self-harm and suicide
- Section 3: Know support and treatment options available to individuals and families in relation to self-harm and suicide
Unit 4: Support for individuals when dealing with grief after suicide
- Section 1: Understand the role of suicide prevention campaigns
- Section 2: Understand the importance of encouraging healthy coping strategies
- Section 3: Understanding grief following suicide and the impact it can have on individuals
- Section 4: Understand the reach of grief following suicide
- Section 5: Understand the importance of support for those affected by grief following suicide
Average Course Length: 8-12 weeks
Awarding Body: TQUK
Course Level: Level 2 Funding Fully Funded
Learning Method(s): Online learning materials with online assessment
To find out more or sign up to one of our courses, visit our free online courses.
If you would like further information or to have an informal conversation about any of the courses please email email@example.com or phone 0116 4970674.